…there ARE things that I like/love about winter months. I was thinking yesterday about it, about how I complain that I don’t care for snow…but then I live in Maine; I choose to live here because I truly do love it here, even though I bitch and moan about snow and how much I hate it…I don’t really “hate” it but I dislike it to a heavy degree. Hate is too strong a word.
So here are some of the things I thought about that I enjoy about this time of the year here in Maine.
- 1. A freshly fallen snow is actually quite beautiful. It coats everything in a clean white sheet and looks pretty amazing. It always makes me smile and get out my camera for some pretty pictures. It makes my dogs giddy with doggy glee as they race around in it and try to tunnel to China.
- Flannel shirt season. Need I say more? Ok, I will…I love wearing my flannel shirts, the soft worn cotton against my skin makes me happy. Layered clothing, hoodies and long johns also put a smile on my face.
- Blanket burittoing, the act of wrapping oneself in comfy blankets and becoming one with the couch while watching movies. This is just a heavenly activity.
- Watching the winter birds at my bird feeders.
- Snowmen and snow creatures. It’s cool to see what the imaginations of the locals can do with snow.
- Football on Sunday afternoons. Goes along with becoming a blanket burrito and consuming good amounts of appetizers during the game.
- Holiday food…there is just something about all of the foods that we encounter at holiday gatherings that makes it extra good. Then we all complain about gaining weight in January, make empty New Years’ resolutions to work out and lose it, just to do it all over again the following December. The fight never ends.
- Winter bonfires. This is a favorite activity of mine. I love fire.
- Christmas cards. Snail mail is becoming scarce, usually it’s just bills and notices, but at Christmas I enjoy finding cards from friends and family in my mailbox. It’ brings me great joy to hear from people that I may not see very often during the year.
- Seeing everyone at holiday gatherings. This is especially nice because I don’t get to see some of these people much during the year.
- Yankee Swaps. This is a tradition at our holiday party every year. It’s a confusing gifting game that always has mixed up rules. I don’t know that there really is a set of real rules for playing!
- Christmas music is always nice to hear on the radio.
So those are some of the things that make me happy at this time of year. Despite the cold temps and cloudy skies I try to find things to be happy about and I make an extra effort not to complain. Complaining gets me no where plus I hate a complainer!
What makes you happy during the colder months?